Feb 6, 2026

It’s all about story you morons.

I want to take a moment from an otherwise hellish week to merely comment on something that I watched recently.

Over the last few years, Disney, Marvel, whoever you want to call out has tried to club people over the head with politically correct casting and the like where they take people and cast them against what the character is to check some kind of DEI box and teach us all a lesson.

Usually the way they do these things is so thoroughly ham handed and done while ignoring story.

Discovery is a great example of the vomitus dreck that is foisted upon us making sure we have all those things that are necessary for REPRESENTATION!!!!!

In the meantime? You go back to Deep Space Nine and you see all the ways they just implemented it without even clubbing you over the head.

Dax? Well, Dax is likely the first transgender character in the Star Trek universe because as a Trill the Dax symbiote had both male and female hosts but it worked out logically within the framework of the narrative. Oh, let us not forget also that the lead character happened to be Black… was a Black single father raising his son. I mean, DS9 is my favorite Star Trek series but you know they did all this while creating a something that fit into the Star Trek universe seamlessly and didn’t kill you with their preaching.

This past week I got through Wonder Man. 

 

WHAT A TERRIFIC SERIES!!!!

And oddly enough the lead character is Black with a Haitian background and none of that bothered me at all because they did such a great job with the story and making the characters more than 2D cutouts meant to ‘teach you’ something.

If you haven’t seen the series, it is likely one of the best things I’ve watched coming from Marvel in a long time. They have the benefit of Ben Kingsley who is a great actor and just hits it out of the park but I have to say that the lead in it Yahya Abdul-Mateen IS JUST INCREDIBLE!

I didn’t even realize he was in Aquaman but boy, he just really blew me away in this. I have to say I loved this series because the story was just so damn good! Now if only Marvel could learn a lesson from this and apply it going forward maybe they would recapture some of that magic they seem to have lost! 

No comments: